How to Make the Occupational Health and Safety Management System More Effective?
Employee and company awareness about Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) has shown a positive trend, creating a safe, effective and productive workplace is starting to become important. But, do you know how to make OHSMS more effective?
Before we discuss how to make Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) more effective, it's good to know first what’s the purpose of implementing OHSMS and what risks are caused by accidents and occupational illness.
Through Government Regulation PP Number 50 Year 2012, the Indonesian government requires every company that employs workers/laborers of at least 100 (one hundred) people or has a high level of potential danger to implement OHSMS in their company. The objectives of implementing OHSMS are:
- Improving the effectiveness of planned, measurable, structured, and integrated occupational health and safety protection.
- Prevent and reduce work accidents and occupational illness by involving elements of management, workers or laborers, and/or trade unions/labor unions.
- Creating a safe, comfortable and efficient workplace to boost productivity.
In ISO 45001 it is stated that the purpose of implementing OHSMS is to prevent accidents and illness, to comply with laws, regulations and other requirements and also to carry out continuous improvement of organizational goals.
The risk of accidents and occupational illness can affect workers anytime and anywhere, thus requiring special attention from various related parties such as workers, employers, and the government. Factors causing accidents reflect the relationship between management and the effects of accidents. The management system of a company is the root cause of work accidents (Bird and Germain, 1990). Based on data from the International Labor Organization (ILO), Indonesia was ranked 26th out of 27 countries (2000-2003 survey) for the high number of work accidents that occurred, which are 1,736 workers died, but when compared to January 2004 which reached 105,846 cases, there is a decrease in the accident rate of 9.9%, the data shows that work accident cases in Indonesia are still relatively high (Mangkuprawira and Vitayala, 2007).
The occurrence of accidents and occupational illness will make a big problem for the continuity of a company. The losses suffered are not only in the form of material losses, but more than that is the emergence of victims. Loss of human resources is a very big loss because humans are a resource that cannot be replaced. Direct losses arising from accidents and occupational illness are medical expenses and compensation. Meanwhile, indirect costs are damage to production equipment, better management of occupational safety and health, cessation of production equipment and loss of working hours.
The factors that can make the OHSMS more effective according to Gallagher (2001):
- System Type
- Customized for organizational need
- Developed with the support and involvement of all stakeholders of the organization (Innovative Management)
- Safe place/innovative system
- Organizational Internal Factors
- Management commitment
- There is strong top management involvement
- OHSMS introduced to improve OHS
- Provision of adequate resources
- OHS which is integral to management performance appraisal
- Leading by example or model
- Integration into other management systems
- Employee Engagement
- All employees are encouraged and able to participate
- Independent representation of employees is encouraged and supported
- Stable workforce characteristics
- Management commitment
- Nature of Organization
- There are adequate systems and resources
- Stable workplace
- Contractor Relations, contractors and subcontractors must develop OHSMS in a compatible manner
- Audit and Audit Tools
- Appropriate audits are used to facilitate continuous improvement, verify, and validate the OHSMS
- Adequate audit tools are tailored to the needs of the organization and reflect the factors that are key to the success of OHSMS
- Strong audit process and technically competent auditors
- Integrated audit in a comprehensive approach, to be able to measure achievement
Therefore, it is important to make OHSMS more effective in order to create a safe, comfortable, efficient and productive workplace; comply with laws, regulations and other requirements; to carry out continuous improvement of OHSMS; and most importantly to prevent accidents and illness.
As a leader in professional training, SGS Academy would help you to become a professional OHS workforce and realize an effective and efficient OHSMS, we draw on years of global experience to provide effective learning and development opportunities. We have various courses on OHSMS topics such as: OHSMS Auditors, OHSMS Internal Auditors or other OHS topics courses, available with public / in-house class (face to face) and virtual (VILT - Virtual Instructor Led Training) methods. Our courses are delivered by specialists who will support you on your professional journey.
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 93,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.