Transportation Hold and Hatch Inspections
Hold and hatch inspection is part of a larger service that SGS provides to assure you that the cargo you ship is received in the same condition as when it was loaded.
Buyers or sellers can order an SGS inspection of the hold prior to loading. This gives both parties the confidence that the cargo will not be contaminated by material already in the hold, or affected in any way by vessel deficiencies. Our inspectors photograph, document and report on any abnormalities they encounter. After completing the assessment, we provide an internationally recognized certificate of inspection.
An SGS inspector verifies that the ship’s hold is ready to receive your cargo. Our hold inspections consider a number of factors that may affect the quality of your cargo. Our capable and experienced inspectors:
- Ensure that the hold is free of rust or paint chips that could contaminate or discolor your cargo
- Provide assurance that the hold is free of previous cargo remnants, including inaccessible areas
- Look for evidence of wooden partitions or dunnage that may react with cargo and ignite
- Examine the ship’s log for evidence of previous cargo containing materials that may put your cargo at risk
- Pay special attention to previous cargos including seed or grain that may lead to consequences due to quarantine requirements
- Check for any signs of moisture or previous water damage in the hold or bilge.
Improper ship’s hatch cover seals and securing arrangements account for a high percentage of cargo defects and rejections. SGS hatch inspections provide evidence that the condition of the hatch covers does not pose a threat to the cargo. Our inspectors:
- Visually inspect hatch covers at departure and arrival for water tightness and proper operation
- Look for obvious damage, holes and leak points that may jeopardize the quality of the cargo
- Conduct Chalk, Hose and Ultrasonic Leak Detection (ULD) tests for objective assessment and verification
Complete, independent hatch and hold inspections are commercial carrier inspection services offered by SGS, a trusted leader in bulk cargo management.